Sorts of hosting services
A hosting service suggests saving and/or sharing given web content on a server run by a hosting supplier. There are different classes of hosting services used for various goals, so let's survey them. In this way, you can conclude what you need, depending on whether you desire to create a web site, mail accounts, or to share files with buddies and associates.
- File hosting: a service provided by particular hosts, which lets you share immense files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archives, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole aim is to share files, since it does not offer website uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine a table of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php web files in your web browser. Free file storage packages often involve adverts beside the download links, while a timer compels you to await a given interval of time to see them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you possess a paid file hosting plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no restriction with regard to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting distributors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud hosting". This is an entirely erroneous explanation of the real meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would distribute the workload between independent hosts of servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending miscellaneous webspace hosting services (mail, web space, stats, DNS, databases, CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is simply a kind of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; specific suppliers provide a hosting solution for images exclusively. This hosting type is suitable if you would like to share a vast number of images with comrades or partners since the solution is mostly free of cost. You will receive a random link for each picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to handling your e-mail box accounts. Some providers offer hosting services for sites, but do not supply an e-mail service. If you desire to create an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to possess a site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you require. You can create mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a given video file, or you can embed the video in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of using this method in lieu of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video file generates a particular amount of CPU load, so with a couple of video files and several hundred web site viewers, you may have a problem with your webspace hosting supplies. Embedding the video will allow you to use as many videos as you want to without worrying about system quotas.
- Web page hosting: this is the solution that you need if you wish to possess a web site. To a certain degree, it includes all of the abovementioned hosting kinds since, along with your web pages, you can also host pictures and files, you can create databases and e-mail accounts, upload video files, and so on. At WebDynamics.com, for instance, you can take a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting services that allow you to get all of the abovementioned services in one single location. There may be restrictions based on the type of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your hosting plan may be better or worse compared to the routine email/file/video/image hosting packages that are made for specific web content solely.